Wishing to Become a Website Designer? Top Skills to Develop
In a nutshell, the profession of website designer entails designing and programming websites, apps, and web pages. In other words, you need to be able to create digital products of all kinds, interacting with already functioning resources and creating new solutions from scratch. Like any other profession, web design has some core skills that employers seek in candidates. So, how to become successful in this profession? Which skills to hone for success in the web design labor market? Read on to see how you can excel in this industry.
Duties of a Website Designer
As a rule, web designers are tasked with the following duties in the workplace.
- Web page design.
- Sample website creation.
- Communication with clients to receive feedback on samples and drafts.
- Retouching and editing of images.
These and other duties are part and parcel of a website designer’s everyday working routines. Their successful completion depends on whether you possess some professional skills. Hone them before you search for a well-paid job as they will surely help your career progression and success.
Skills That Can Win You a Good Job
Some of these skills are inborn, while others require systemic, conscious training. Here is a list of soft skills that every website designer should showcase in a job interview:
- Robust communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Conflict management.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Conflict management skills.
Besides these universal skills, a website designer should also showcase industry-specific knowledge in the following areas.
- IT knowledge and mastery.
- Knowledge of SEO principles.
- Mastery of Photoshop, InDesign, and other editing software.
- Proficiency in responsive web design.
- Typography mastery.
- Understanding of the composition principles.
- In-depth knowledge of color theory.
- Web design software mastery.
- CMS understanding and application skills.
- Awareness of UX principles.
Sky Is the Limit
Whatever skills you possess, there’s never an end to learning and self-improvement. The web design niche is so overcrowded by mediocre specialists claiming to be the best that you need to go the extra mile to make yourself heard. A highly competitive labor market dictates new rules of competition, and the universal solution now is excellence and life-long learning. Only professionals with in-depth knowledge and continuous commitment to growth can succeed. Thus, don’t stop on what you’ve achieved (even if you’re a really good website designer). Always long for more, and your popularity among employers will never fade away.